Friday, April 15, 2011

The Balloon Races on my mind at 3 am



When my family first moved to Reno, Nevada I remember going as a family to the annual Great Reno Balloon Races. We got up in what felt like the middle of the night, but really was probably more like 4 am to throw on clothes, get donuts and hot coco and head to the only real park I remember in Reno (in Portland there seems to be a park every other block) Rancho San Rafael park. It was always chilly, since it's in early September. We would take our little sleeping bags (I had this cool Michael Jordan sleeping bag at the time, since my short lived basketball career was at it's height).
We would put down a blanket, all get into our sleeping bags and I would fall back asleep until the dawn patrol would start ( you really can find ANYTHING on Utube).
The balloons would begin to light up with heat and air filling them, we would cheer and count down. The music is the same every single year. The utube video is a little short, as you don't get to hear the "up up and away" hit that would blare as all of the other balloons start to take off. And really that song was probably only written for such an event, I mean what else on earth would you play it for? Use caution with watching that clip because it is one of those songs that can easily be stuck in your head for over 24 hours:(

Anyway, my favorite balloon (hands down) was always the Mr. Peanut:)

We would sit in awe of the balloons all taking off at dawn. Then we would drive home, all the while watching all the balloons fill the air above the city. With up, up and away stuck in our heads. Watching the balloons for hours litter the sky.

Why am I thinking about this? Because I can't sleep for some odd reason....

Just a snapshot of my brain......odd place sometimes;) I guess being up at this hour reminds me of that memory. Maybe I should go this year for old times sake.....

2 comments:

  1. Yep, those were good times. I'll go with you to the balloon races. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI: The Tigard Festival of the Balloons comes every June to Portland. Granted, they don't have a giant Mr. Peanut balloon, so I'm not sure if it would hold the same allure for you.

    But it's a good time, nonetheless. Plus, there are donuts.

    ReplyDelete

Know us

Our Team

Tags

Video of the Day

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *